Residents of the State of Maine shall record notice of their intentions to marry in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides. If only one of the parties resides in Maine, the parties shall record notice of their intentions to marry in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which the resident party resides. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.Out-of-State Residents must file their intentions to marry in any municipal office. Once the intentions are filed and the license is issued, the parties are free to marry anywhere within the State of Maine. The license is valid for a period of 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.Requirements
(1) INTENTIONS OF MARRIAGE
- Couples must complete an Intentions of Marriage form. Both signatures must be acknowledged before an official authorized to take oaths, e.g. notary public, municipal clerk.
- The marriage license is valid for 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.
- No blood tests are required.
(2) Filing Fee
- The filing fee is $40.00 ($20.00 per applicant).
(3) Previous Marriage(s)
- If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the death or divorce decree, whichever ended the previous marriage, must be presented to the clerk prior to the processing of the marriage license.
- A certified copy of a divorce decree may be obtained from the clerk of courts in the county where the divorce was filed. The clerk of courts will certify the document using an embossed seal.
- A certified copy of a death certificate may be obtained from the clerk in the town of the place of death. The clerk will certify the document using an embossed seal.Photocopies are not accepted.
Once the marriage license is completed by the Officiant legally qualified to perform a marriage in Maine, and signed by two witnesses, the Officiant is required to file the license within 7 working days of the ceremony with the clerk where the license was issued.
Marriage Certificates are available once the license has been filed at the town office.
$15.00 for one copy
$ 6.00 for each additional copy
In the State of Maine, a death certificate is filed in the municipality in which the death occurred, as well as the municipality in which the deceased resided. Certified copies of the certificate can be purchased from the Clerk’s Office in either municipality.
Town Office Hours
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Oxford, Maine 04270
Monday, 01/01/2018 New Year’s Day
Monday, 01/15/2018 Martin Luther King Day
Monday, 02/19/2018 President’s Day
Monday, 04/16/2018 Patriot’s Day
Monday, 05/28/2018 Memorial Day
Wednesday, 07/04/2018 Independence Day
Monday, 09/03/2018 Labor Day
Monday, 10/08/2018 Columbus Day
Monday, 11/12/2018 Veteran’s Day
Thursday, 11/22/2018 Thanksgiving
Friday, 11/23/2018 Thanksgiving
Monday, 12/24/2018 Christmas
Tuesday, 12/25/2018 Christmas
All Days that Elections are held, June and November.
Topics of Interest
P.O. Box 153
Oxford, Maine 04270